Music Banter - View Single Post - Illmatic - is it worth the hype?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #43 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Both of you could be right in general, but certainly not in my case. Yeah, I prefer out-there Hip Hop, but I also like boom bap and most of the artists used as an example.

And I simply don't rate Illmatic that highly. In fact, repeated listens lessens the impact. I don't think this would change if I were to immerse myself more into the culture as I don't think that makes any difference whatsoever. Adding artificial meaning to what should essentially be your opinion on the music and nothing else.
I don't think it's fair to say that any opinions are based on artificial meaning.
Of course, we all simply like what sounds good to us, however our opinions are informed, but I think that personal experiences at least possibly informs our opinions.
Perhaps levels of immersion in a certain genre of music does matter and if you had been listening to hip hop for about 20 years you'd feel like I do about Illmatic, and likewise, maybe if I had been listening to hip hop for about 3 years I may feel like you do about it.
Or maybe you're correct that it doesn't matter at all what either of us knows about hip hop and we would both feel the exact same way that we do now regardless of our experiences.
Obviously, we'll never know.