Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #181 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Albums that missed the cut.........
Other good albums worth checking out that were also released in 1971, but weren't quite good enough to make the top 10 and are listed below in no set order, so the best of the rest:

Budgie
Squawk 1972

An album that just missed a place in the ‘Top 10’ as the band moved beyond the confines of the debut and started evolving and despite some very dubious song choices on here, it still had stunners like “Hot as a Dockers Armpit” and "Drugstore Woman"

Alice Cooper
School’s Out 1972

The title track is the best known and most famous track Alice Cooper probably put out, but the rest of the album despite being an interesting listen, dabbles too much with a progressive West Side Story type theme for my liking, the lesser album from this his classic period.

Ursa Major
Ursa Major 1972

An accomplished album that doesn’t remotely sound like a debut set, the band just stuck around for an album which is a shame, as there was a market for their commercial brand of hard rock. Frontman Dick Wagner would go on to perform with Alice Cooper.

Jerusalem
Jerusalem 1972

An album that strangely seems to be remembered by a lot of aficionados from this era, I say strange because the compositions despite being decent and solid, were somewhat quite amateurish in relation to the competition out there at the time, produced by Ian Gillan.

Stray
Saturday Morning Pictures 1972

The third great album by the band and another album just to miss the ‘Top 10’ This is an album which expands out of the unpredictable confines of the first two stunning albums and sees a great use of synths and keyboards by the band.

Buffalo
Dead Forever 1972

A real mixed bag here from one of the earliest heavy bands out of Australia, as they can’t really decide whether they want to go for straight-out Sabbath style rockers or concentrate on the softer side of things, they would explode next year.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 01-03-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote