Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who doesn't like Nirvana...
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Ghost Jam
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinn View Post
I don't know if you misinterpreted the point of what I said. I didn't say all grunge follows the same cognitive road, but genres will have certain typical characteristics that people make to recognise. Grunge brought depression into attention, which is part of the reason why it emerged. I'm not implying that's a bad thing. It can be quite thoughtful, and a lot of it is pulled off in a metaphoric way.

Look at Alice in Chains, they were heavily dark emotionally. Early Soundgarden were grating, critical and angsty then turned poetic and often somewhat sad. Pearl Jam dug and romanced up tragic situations at first in Alive and Jeremy, which were two of their most successful songs. People can be really impressionable and tred on the surface. Especially influenced by bands that have worldwide success.

Nirvana are just the main example.
Yeah I'm not following.

Rock n Roll by it's very nature is steeped in loss, angst, rebellion, heartache, and tragedy.

Sure, not all of it reflects those themes, but it's music that emerged directly from 3 centuries of slavesong, manifesting into jazz, blues, ragtime and then eventually Rock n Roll.

SO...does that make Robert Johnson, Billie Holiday, the Rolling Stones, Black Flag and Marvin Gaye all "grunge".

And before you say it was the sound, like I said, each band that people like to wedge into the free-of-thought-box of "grunge" had an entirely different sound from one to the other as well.

I think that the only reason people insist on this "grunge" label is because it's easy to do so...it brings less of a challenge to the average brain to consider the music of the era...but again, the only common thread between them is that they all came from the part of the country. I mean that really is it.

So yeah I'm not really getting it. I love Nirvana, not so much Pearl Jam. The reason is they are completely different bands with totally different sounds, themes and direction, like, on every imaginable level.

Putting them in the same category is just stupid.

-Ghost Jam
Ghost Jam is offline   Reply With Quote