Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who doesn't like Nirvana...
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
Rjinn
The Aerosol in your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Jam View Post
Yeah I'm not following.

Rock n Roll by it's very nature is steeped in loss, angst, rebellion, heartache, and tragedy.

Sure, not all of it reflects those themes, but it's music that emerged directly from 3 centuries of slavesong, manifesting into jazz, blues, ragtime and then eventually Rock n Roll.

SO...does that make Robert Johnson, Billie Holiday, the Rolling Stones, Black Flag and Marvin Gaye all "grunge".

And before you say it was the sound, like I said, each band that people like to wedge into the free-of-thought-box of "grunge" had an entirely different sound from one to the other as well.

I think that the only reason people insist on this "grunge" label is because it's easy to do so...it brings less of a challenge to the average brain to consider the music of the era...but again, the only common thread between them is that they all came from the part of the country. I mean that really is it.

So yeah I'm not really getting it. I love Nirvana, not so much Pearl Jam. The reason is they are completely different bands with totally different sounds, themes and direction, like, on every imaginable level.

Putting them in the same category is just stupid.

-Ghost Jam
First of all I'm not one either for listening to music because of the genre. I'm only trying to explain how I think it works.

I just pointed out one characteristic of the entire genre. It doesn't mean they automatically fit into it. Music will be placed in genres they have the most characteristics with. Genres have comparisons, so yes they can relate to one another.

Both Nirvana and Pearl Jam had grainy, harsh vocals and distorted electric guitars, had hints of the same origins that formed grunge musically, are under alternative rock, apathetic or angsty lyrics, contrasting dynamics, and even common stripped down aesthetics. It doesn't mean they had the same ideas.

Part of the reason grunge became accredited is because of the Seattle emerge, sure. But If Pearl Jam came out as a thrash metal band do you really think people would consider them grunge?

Last edited by Rjinn; 01-05-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote