Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's boring mainstream Top 20 albums of 2012
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Yeah, not quite tomorrow. Things got a little busier than expected...

Not that anyone's reading this, but hey, that has never stopped me before! So on we go, just me and the silent ghosts of disapproval, in my countdown...

Hawkwind --- Onward
I cannot get over how fresh and relevant this new album from Hawkwind sounds! It's just amazing that they're still putting out quality releases like this, over forty years since they first started recording. Stunning! It's also a double album, which is even more impressive.

Woo-hoo! "Mind cut", "Death trap", "Southern cross", "Right to decide","The flowering of the rose", "Green finned demon"

D'oh! Nothing.

(Guest starring Otto) "Whoa! WEIRD, man!" "System check", "Electric tears", "The drive-by", "Computer cowards", "Howling moon", "Trans air trucking", "Final track (untitled)"

Joseph Arthur --- Redemption City
What can you say about a guy, discovered by Peter Gabriel, who not only writes, sings, plays all the instruments on, produces and releases his own records --- and for free? Well, apart from "what's the URL?" you can say this is one hell of a comprehensive record, and again it's a double. My first introduction to Mr. Arthur, but I'll be looking at other releases of his for sure.

Woo-hoo! "Travel as equals", "I miss the zoo", "No surrender comes free", "Redemption City", "So far from free", "Surrender to the storm", "Follow", "Humanity fade", "Visit us", "I am the Mississippi"

D'oh! "Kadinsky"

Deacon Blue --- The Hipsters

I've always liked Deacon Blue, thought they had broken up to be honest. Glad to see I was wrong, but if this is to be seen as a comeback album for them in any way, then it's one hell of a comeback! Ricky Ross's voice is as distinctive and warmly friendly as ever, even when he's haranguing you about something, and Lorraine McIntosh just as ever completes the vocal partnership in a way few pairings manage. A real treat for people who enjoy uncomplicated, honest, sincere music.

Woo-hoo! "Turn", "The outsiders", "Laura from memory", "That's what we can do", "She'll understand", "It will end in tears"

D'oh! Nothing

Okay then, for both of you reading, I'll be back maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day, or later, with more! Toodles for now!