Music Banter - View Single Post - we are not your weapons / we are women
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
But it's not like it isn't true.

I'm sure she's capable of distinguishing one man's motivation from that of a ethnic group but she chose to write about it from a social perspective. Credit her for not just simply making it a gender issue.

It's funny if you google the headline you get lead here:
Professional Do-Gooder Raped (Lack Of Insight Astonishing). [Archive] - Conservative Underground
Whether societal factors play a role is all well and good, and should be looked at, but the point I wanted to make is that I think it's misguided to support a social agenda by acknowledging only one of its possible aspects.

We both know that rape isn't some new thing that occurred after a particular social change. It has been around since human nature has. And while I'm not saying rape is just human nature and should be disregarded, I do not think that any particular social situation is the cause of it, and representing the act in such a way is misleading.

However, if she's saying that a social problem is the cause of less restrained behavior, then she might be absolutely right. However, I don't see the need to prop up a position on it using rape as the motivational factor when the very issue of the problem has far wider-reaching implications in and of itself.

Edit:
Also, I'm not sure what you're attempting to say with that link. So far, it looks like a straw man to me.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote