Music Banter - View Single Post - we are not your weapons / we are women
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Whether societal factors play a role is all well and good, and should be looked at, but the point I was trying to make is that I think it's misguided to support a social agenda by acknowledging only one of its possible aspects.
So in this particular scenario, you believe it's wrong for the U.N. to allocate more aid to Haiti solely based on domestic violence?

Quote:
We both know that rape isn't some new thing that occurred after a particular social change. It has been around since human nature has. And while I'm not saying rape is just human nature and should be disregarded, I do not think that any particular social situation is the cause of it, and representing the act in such a way is misleading.
But in different societies it is less prominent. Certain social conditions increase the likelihood. I think it's apparent she's talking about a crisis, not just instances of rape.

Quote:
However, if she's saying that a social problem is the cause of less restrained behavior, then she might be absolutely right. However, I don't see the need to prop up a position on it using rape as the motivational factor when the very issue of the problem has far wider-reaching implications in and of itself.
That is what she's saying, and i agree, she may be right. It's a universal issue, i don't see what's wrong with addressing it from a personal perspective.

The link was just for jokes. You may be on to something with the "Straw man" because i did find that link incredibly stupid.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote