Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who doesn't like Nirvana...
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #37 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
I like Nirvana, but saying that they were the greatest band ever sure would have been an exaggeration. They were a good band, but I think the greatest band ever would have been a band that had a large influence on later bands, or had a unique style that distinguished them from others.
In a way they did some of what you said. They were influential to bands that came after them, maybe not as a direct influence for their contemperaries. I guess for their critics they don't have the sound that most people think a trail blazer band should have, but they were one of first bands to mark the shift in music styles from late 80s synthy and over-processed music to 90's Alt-Rock. The shift was more in the music industry there's always been an underground music scene. Some of the underground sub-genres ran their course or developed. Out of those different sub-genres bands they either broke up, changed their style; a few moved into the mainstream. When Nirvana arrived, they were kind of unique, they were kind of Punkish but somewhat different from Punk because they were also influence by different bands in Rock as well, even by The Beatles.

Nirvana were at the right place at the right time for that for that generation. Maybe they're not for everyone. I'm not for writing them off as the worst band nor am I for fawning all over them as the greatest band of all time to me they are another puzzle peice in understanding Alt-Rock that I like.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote