Music Banter - View Single Post - What do you want for the next Guitar Hero?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Time to paint myself as one of the biggest GH / RB nerds here...

I've played these games since GH3. I bought a PS3 specifically to keep playing Rockband on my old roommate's profile to keep my global rank (peaked at like 310 on drums). I have over 200 DLC tunes, plus everything that can be imported (for a grand total of like 777 songs). Hell, the main reason I bought a TD-9 last Summer was to step up to Pro mode drumming (it's honestly pretty freaking sweet).

However. Guitar Hero and Rockband are over. GH has been dead and gone for years now due to flooding the market and horrible licensing / importing issues. It's never coming back (especially if you read the insanity that was being planned / prototyped for GH7). Harmonix recently announced a plan to diminish weekly DLC and will more likely than not be stopping entirely sometime in the Spring.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like the guitar itself (the instrument) is losing popularity in the mainstream. When I see a new Guitar World magazine on a shelf and recognize the same faces as when I used to buy it in the mid 90s I wonder what's really happening to the state of guitar based music. I get the impression it's growing old. And a video game where you click a bunch of coloured buttons to replicate playing the instrument doesn't help squat.

I think Rocksmith was a promising step in a good direction but ultimately lacks game. It's more like an semi-interactive e-tutor. Guitar Hero was a button clicking game (super fun button clicking, but still just button clicking). Personally I'd like to see a step towards a drum-centric Rocksmith style game, but again, very VERY unlikely to ever happen.

So what I really want from the next Guitar Hero game is, no guitar, and this is coming from someone who owns like 15 GH / RB games (and 10 real guitars).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote