Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's Muzak 101: Legitimizing Smooth Jazz For The Unwashed Masses
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Paul Hardcastle - The Jazzmasters (1991)

ARTIST BACKGROUND

THE ALBUM
Transitioning from club oriented instrumental synth-pop to swirling, soulful jazz pop may not be considered a huge leap in musical orientation to some of you, but Paul Hardcastle was considered to be one of the best studio prodigies on the planet by the late 80's so people were fairly interested in what The Jazzmasters project was going to be like back then. Recruiting vocalist Helen Rogers and bringing in a variety of session buddies (including Snake Davis on sax), the album was recorded and released to a fair degree of acclaim back in 1991 -- its a seminal record in contemporary jazz that helped redefine production for the 90's, especially in dance and electronic music.

WHY YOU WANT THIS
Whilst most contemporary jazz is fairly nondescript, I can only describe The Jazzmasters approach to the genre as a joy to hear: swirling flutes, a tasty bassline and some synthesized percussion open up this debut in the form of 'Sound Of Summer', and it isn't long before Rogers' sultry vocals come cascading down. Very laidback, but it gets one-upped by 'Blue Days', which hits next with a killer sax refrain amidst the club-oriented flute psychedelia. There's even a xylophone solo! Along with excellent early 90's jazz pop cuts like these, there's some tasty instrumentals to jam to, such as the lush 'Lost Summer' and the sky faring 'Hearts Of Space', which has synth flourishes straight out of Sega Genesis! xD

CLOSING REMARKS
Paul Hardcastle is fairly prolific and consistent in his solo work, almost the point where I think he needs someone to give him a good shake now and then. However, the first three albums he did in The Jazzmasters series (I, II and III respectively) are all minor classics and did the whole dance pop/smooth jazz crossover thing better than anything else in the 90's. Give 'em a go!

FINAL GRADE

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 01-22-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote