Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #1681 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Inspired by a recent thread made by another poster, I started thinking of the different ways orchestras are used to supplement, reinterpret or sometimes rewrite completely our favorite songs. Here in this new section I'll be exploring just this phenomenon. The songs may not all be that well-known --- though many will be --- and I'll be looking at how being orchestrally arranged has changed the original, for better or worse.

Although most of these videos will feature internationally famous orchestras like the London Philharmonic or the BBC Symphony, I would like to point you first in the direction of a guy who does this for sheer enjoyment on an amateur level, but with almost professional results. He's known only by his internet username, OminousVoice, and uses various software programs to reimagine some of his favourite music. This is one he created using the Bon Jovi song, “(It's hard) Letting you go” from the album “These days”. Yeah, he has a YouTube channel, and a Twitter account, all details in the comments.

“(It's hard) Letting you go” (Bon Jovi) from “These days”, arranged by OminousVoice

This is another amateur home-produced effort, working on a-ha's biggest hit. Man, these guys have some talent!
“Take on me” (a-ha) from “Hunting high and low” arranged by JoeTracy

But of course, no matter how great these guys are, there's no substitute for the real thing. Here's the London Symphony Orchestra, tackling a favourite from Rod.
“Sailing” (Rod Stewart) from “Atlantic crossing” played by the London Symphony Orchestra.

Proving that an orchestra can even take on a serious metal song, here's the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Michael Kamen, with that Metallica single.
“Enter sandman” (Metallica) from “The Black Album” played by Metallica (S&M) with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.

And to finish up, Motorhead. Huh? Did he say...? Yeah, I did. Incredible as it sounds, someone out there managed to mix up an orchestral version of “Ace of spades”, and for that if nothing else he deserves inclusion here. Great job!
“Ace of spades” (Motorhead) from “Ace of spades” arranged by Andy Rehfeldt.