Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's boring mainstream Top 20 albums of 2012
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Okay then, getting to the end (who cheered?) and as we do, the quality of the albums rises exponentially...

Gazpacho --- March of ghosts

Although I only fairly recently got into Gazpacho through the album "Missa Atropos", I found I really liked their laidback, gentle approach to prog rock. There's little to dance, headbang or even move to on that album, and less on this, but it's a lesson in introspection and minimalism, and the love of these guys from Norway for their craft shines through in every track.

Woo-hoo! "Hell freezes over I-IV" (four separate but linked tracks), "What did I do", "Golem", "The dumb".
D'oh! Nothing

Europe --- Bag of bones

Yeah, yeah, it's the final countdown, I know! Seriously, I was just amazed by how mature and well-rounded this album is. Course, considering Europe have been going now for 30 years it's probably not surprising, but like most of us I tended to judge them as a one-hit-wonder, and was just totally blown away by this album. Seriously. I found it hard to stop listening to, and it very nearly made the top of my list.

Woo-hoo! "Not supposed to sing the blues", "My demon hand", "Bag of bones", "Firebox", "Bring it all home"
D'oh! Nothing

Threshold --- March of progress

Another band around for three decades is Threshold, one of the premier progressive metal bands no-one seems to know. They haven't had a new album since 2007, so this was eagerly awaited and it does not disappoint. Reuniting the band with vocalist Damian Wilson, who sang last on their 1997 "Extinct instinct" album, it's a total classic all the way.

Woo-hoo! Everything
D'oh! Nothing

I haven't decided yet if my next post will be my last, as there are now only four albums left, but I may wait and post the number one in a separate entry. Don't lose any sleep over which I do, now!

See yas some other time!