Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who doesn't like Nirvana...
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #83 (permalink)
Kelli
custom user title

Hmm I'm a bit late to this thread but after reading through most of the pages I might as well give my two cents worth of opinion. The question was whether or not you like Nirvana. Okay then, although pretty much all of my friends in high school either listened to & were fans of the band, I was always pretty indifferent to the music. Ignoring genre labels and just going with popular rock bands in the 90s, well yeah, I'd rather listen to Nirvana than Pearl Jam. I liked the Smashing Pumpkins better. Alice in Chains I could never get into. I was a big fan of Blur and Oasis. I think what I'm trying to get at is, even though I was never really into Nirvana's music, I can appreciate it for what it is and that they produced some of the best rock music of the 90s. Albums like Nevermind and In Utero still being popular today just proves that the music still stands up and has had a lasting cultural impact. In middle/high school I had a hard time listening to anything labeled 'grunge' just because it was a totally different, heavier, darker sound than the rock music I was familiar with. But looking back at Nirvana's music now and listening to it...well, it isn't for everyone, but I don't think you can ignore they were one of - or possibly the - most important rock band of the 90s.

Even if you aren't a fan, Whatever is a pretty f***ing great album.
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote