Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who doesn't like Nirvana...
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #94 (permalink)
Ghost Jam
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
1. N.B. The Velvet Underground are not British, they were based in New York City, New York, USA. I don't know if you know that, I just want a shout out for the east coast yo.
2. "There's a long line of really good music" before the Velvet Underground.

There is a prevalent notion that only one band started good music. Whether it is The Beatles or VU or the Pixies or Nirvana or Metallica or Lady Gaga. I don't hate any of those bands, and I steer clear of Metallica and Lady Gaga for practical purposes. I don't know much about who influenced the Velvet Underground. I guess they were influenced by the Folk and Pop and advantgarde scenes or whatever. Nico met up with Brian Jones, Bob Dylan and Jim Morrison, she was porbably influenced by the latter more. Jonesy was into sex drugs and Rock and Roll and he gave up the latter in pursuit of the first two. Everybody talks Bob Dylan and yet there isn't enough said about the man. Nico bore the brunt of the talent in VU. Lou Reed came in a close second.

I'm half way with Pursuingchange where I question the idols people put on pedestals, however I don't see the need to topple people's idols. If they worship these bands llike VU or Nirvana and think they are the cause of everything in music than that's their opinion; that's them. It's all perspective, it's pretty close to Einstein's Theory of Relativity. If a person thinks their favourite band is more massive than other bands then that band will wrap their space-time of musical taste.

I guess because I'm not all into one genre I look at things differently.
As much as I love Nico, compared to Lou Reed and John Cale, she was little more than a prop.

The Velvets did far more influencing than they did being influenced. That's what makes them one of the most important artists of the 20th century.

Metallica recorded several invaluable records in the 1980's. I would reassess your practical purposes.

Lady Gaga is among the best pop artists of the new millennium. Again, I would take another look at what you consider practical.

I mean, you're just hurting yourself, man.

I am neither putting any artist on a pedestal nor am I idolizing anything. Nirvana has a very secure seat among the greatest ever, and I'm the last voice in a line of thousands making such a claim.

Again, it's not about subjectivity...it's about consensus. You can hate on the Beatles all day, but that changes nothing regarding their objective place in the scheme of it all. There is no difference with Nirvana.

If you possess a passion for music and understand it to any extent, then whether or not you like the Beatles, VU, Joy Division or Nirvana has nothing to do with your ability to appreciate it.

That's all I'm saying, Einstein aside.

-I'm doing the best that I can, I'm ashamed of the things I've been put through, I'm ashamed of the person I Ghost Jam
Ghost Jam is offline   Reply With Quote