Music Banter - View Single Post - The 'Big Government' thread: US vs EU, and whether either (or both) are doomed
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #25 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
Pretty sure they became a 'superpower' by not getting bombed back to the stone age during World War 2 and being able to rapidly convert their military manufacturing industry into a more domestic oriented manufacturing industry to help rebuild Europe. It provided a huge boost to the economy but too many lacked the foresight to recognize that it was a temporary bonus rather than a reflection of a new-era. Eventually Europe would finish being rebuilt, then what? Oh yeah that's right, all those 'crap' jobs got outsourced to Mexico, India, or China.

It was more of a right place at the right time situation. As is becoming more and more apparent as that economy starts tanking.

I also don't think this whole US - EU thing is a fair comparison. It's like comparing a single band vs. a record label.
Yes of course, but it was the fact that the United States was a union with a strong centralized government that made this happen. Franklin D. Roosevelt's administration was probably the most centralized in the history of the United States. It would have been less likely if the States were a loose confederation.

Were talking about the merits of federal union versus a confederate union, right now the US operates as a federal union, the EU a loose confederation of independent states bound by no central governing force.

The issue of confederation versus federation has been a major issue of debate since the begining of your history....you did fight a civil war over it, but what can i say, I'm a Alexander Hamliton kinda guy, a federalist at heart, guilty as charged.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote