Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who doesn't like Nirvana...
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #118 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_circumcision View Post
It's like I've actually encountered someone without cognitive abilities! What, is it impossible to have Techno music from outside of Detroit? What about House music outside Chicago? Is that OK? It's not like Grunge is a relation of some kind of (sub-)urban ennui specifically linked to Seattle (which is how you spell it, by the way) and Seattle alone the way that Chanson is, say, linked to French culture specifically by the language or Cajun by the specific combination of cultural artifacts (last I checked, distorted guitars were not a quintessentially Seattle thing that had no roots or influence elsewhere).
Grunge only appeared after the fact for many of those bands that got caught up in the Industry's epithet for that music. No one was waiting around for Nirvana, the flagship of Grunge to appear, before they could make "Grunge" music. And it isn't a term many of those bands identify with or embraced. As with other genres, e.g. The Beatles - British Invasion, or Rites of Spring - Emo, or Ramones - Punk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_circumcision View Post
But this kind of behavior should be expected from rock music genre snobs - the same types who can't make heads or tails of the differences between Romantic and Baroque compositions but believe that every five years a new form of rock music is born where there was none before.
You got me. I'm going to cry Uncle on this one because I can't tell the difference Scarlatti from Schubert. But that is a huge assumption that others can not. But why is knowledge of Art music a prerequisite for Rock?
And yes, why not have a new form of Rock music every five or so years, how long did Grunge last before they were asking is Grunge dead?

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 01-13-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote