Music Banter - View Single Post - Scott Walker
Thread: Scott Walker
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Euronomus
Dibs on the killing sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_circumcision View Post
I found Bish Bosch to be unbelievably pretentious. There wasn't anything subversive or political in it that you couldn't find in the Christopher Nolan/Wachowskis/David Fincher Philosophy 101 textbook, and it's an aesthetic nightmare in the worst ways.
I didn't care for the album myself, but I feel you're being a little harsh. The albums whole point is to be subversive by being an aesthetic nightmare. While no doubt it's more than a little self-indulgent, i wouldn't go as far as calling it pretentious, there is a well thought-out, very real purpose and design to it. Really what I'm trying to say is that as music to be listened to it's not very good, but as thought-provoking art that is designed to provoke a reaction-and succeeds, it is probably one of the greatest albums ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_circumcision View Post
Also, the Tiny Mix Tapes blurb for it in their Top Albums list was the only thing more self-indulgent than the album itself to come out in 2012.
Lol, Nothing new there, I'm surprised that entire site hasn't disappeared up it's own ass yet. Most everyone who writes for them is VERY deserving of the title pretentious.