Music Banter - View Single Post - Jimi Hendrix's Guitar Playing Criticized in Article
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #22 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euronomus View Post
It's not just that he's entitled to his opinion, his opinion can be just as valid as a musicians. while I do disagree with him(Hendix has never been a favorite, but he's an amazing player and a good songwriter), Saying that a lack of musical knowledge invalidates his ability to make a reasonable and cogent argument about a piece of music or a musician is so to miss the point of music altogether.
It's true that enjoyment of music can transcend all things, age, gender, culture, and social status. Everyone can have an opinion, and can express an opinion that is their own. But even opinions can tend to be more valid or less valid. An opinion is subject to opinion and it can be accepted or reject.

I read his article before I knew he was a musician, and I didn't agree with it. I head somewhere that the rhythm guitar player had a difficult time nailing the acoustic guitar part in Wind Cries Mary. So they he made it seem any guitar player can execute that song no problem doesn't settle right with me. I think they can fake it. But maybe not get it down exactly as was actually played. I think that besides what you brought up, it is ironic that he is a musician and saying the junk does.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote