Music Banter - View Single Post - Advice thread
Thread: Advice thread
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #198 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
So, this may seem really light and totally random, but I need feedback.

Basically, I'm putting about $200 into savings from each cheque I receive from working. By June, I would have a nice wad of cash for my vacation. I expect to put even more than $200 per cheque in when I'm getting closer to June.

With that said, my little sister is absolutely obsessed with One Direction. Like, beyond words, obsessed. She wanted nothing more than tickets to one of their shows for Christmas, and didn't get them; instead my sister decided to get her Maroon 5 tickets, and she's not even all that into Maroon 5.

I'm not trying to one-up my sister or anything, and I know that One Direction aren't going to be her favorite group forever, but...when I was younger, I wanted to see The Spice Girls and Hanson in concert. My mom told me that I'd be glad I didn't go to see them, that I'd be embarrassed when I got older, but that wasn't the case. I still kind of regret not having the opportunity, because I know that they were so cool to me when I was a kid.

Those ****ing tickets are ridiculously expensive. I was thinking about buying her decent seats for the show in either Louisville or Columbus, just so she'd have the experience instead of never getting to see the group. But I really want to go to Los Angeles this year.

Should I give my little sister this awesome experience of getting to see her favorite group, which she could look on with nostalgia for years to come, or should I keep saving for LA, so I can scope it out for a potential move to the city in the next five years?
Since you're saving money for nothing more than a vacation (to a place that is going to rape you on taxes if you actually decide to live there), and not something more important like a house or a car that you may actually need in the more immediate future, I would say yes, you could reasonably afford to fund your sister's dream, assuming you consider her happiness at the very least as important as yours, since neither wish on either side is necessary to live productively. Plus, a concert ticket isn't going to derail long term plans as far as savings are concerned.

However, if you were saving for something more detrimental to your life and its prospects in the near-term, I would advise against spending absorbent amounts for gifts, unless you can reasonably expect to not set yourself back that far in the process.
If your life goal is to live in California, and it is more important than anything else, then go for that. You'll just have to pass up many other family opportunities in the process.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote