Music Banter - View Single Post - Impeachment?
Thread: Impeachment?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
As an independent myself, I don't have any problem with any of the executive orders Obama signed. In fact, I think they were all excellent ideas.

I'm a little less receptive to the assault weapons ban, because if it's instituted in the way that the previous one was, and guns are not actually taken away (as Obama has assured us), it's not actually going to do anything. I can think of many more things to legislate for the saving of many more lives than the miniscule percentage of fatalities caused by assault rifles. And, considering that the ban would simply ban the new manufacturing of them, it doesn't do anything for the millions of assault rifles that are already here.

So, ultimately I think this is more of a political win that's trying to be made, rather than an attempt to actually solve a problem, which is really disturbing to me in that the administration is trying to score a political win off the backs of 20 dead children because "the picking is good right now", with everyone still emotional over the event and more likely to support the legislation.

Is all that impeachable? Probably not. Happens all the time.
i don't even think all this is about a political win, personally. i think it's way crazier than that. or, potentially, anyway. i mean, it seems like that, but i doubt that it is.

i watched obama's little speech where he kind of alluded to his plan on this a bit, and it was just emotional bullsh*t geared toward what in my opinion was winning over the hearts of vulnerable people. and that, of course, seems like political tactics.

but i don't imagine it doing anything. and that's pretty telling. i just can't shake the feeling that this new legislation is just one more step toward orwellian domination, particularly in the mode of thought crime.

they know that even if they banned all guns (aside from causing a civil war) the criminals will get what they need to be criminals. so what i see happening is they limit the guns, crime rate will probably continue to escalate, and then they'll get more into the "psychology of criminals" instituting legally bound criteria to arrest and detain someone for looking suspiciously at a fire hydrant.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote