Music Banter - View Single Post - BEST CLASSIC ROCK ALBUM OF THE 80's
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
Humm...I'm still siding more with Escape. True, "Don't Stop Believin' " is one of the most over-played songs of the last couple of years and "Open Arms" is cheese, but then the former has an arresting opening Piano bit plus the hook that will never leave your mind and the later is possibly a very tasty cheese to some (certainly a Prom Night favorite back in the day). I feel that this was where the Steve Perry era had it's apex. As for highlight album tracks, Escape had "Stone In Love," one of the FM Rock staples I did not mind hearing a lot back in the day with a great simple guitar riff prefect for WRIF and WIOT over-kill play (memories).

Plus, there was the Atari 2600 video game - A laughable but likable highlight of 80's FM Rock promotion.

Journey Escape for the Atari 2600
Journey Escape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopsych View Post
That's a solid argument. I could add that Escape is more adventurous musically. However, I might lean slightly away from Escape, because I'm not fond of "Open Arms" and "Still They Ride," whereas I like all 5 songs from Frontiers that got much airplay.
I'd agree that Frontiers for such a classic album does have a couple of filler tracks, but like anything special its standout tracks are amazing. Escape is more consistent but I'd still take Frontiers over it anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopsych View Post
I didn't know there was a Frontiers-inspired videogame. I could argue from the other side that Escape has less filler (which is a vague impression I have). Beyond those two albums, only a few others come to mind as great 80's classic rock. They include Def Leppard's Hysteria, 5150 by Van Halen, and the album 4 by Foreigner.
Hysteria very much fits in with what the general public would view as a classic rock album and sure its tunes are great. 4 by Foreigner is another great choice, never one of my favourite AOR bands but the album is kind of essential here.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote