Music Banter - View Single Post - Why such controversy on Nu Metal?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Well yet again we have a Nu Metal themed thread so here is my two penneth worth.

Although there are many, many sub genres of Metal, the most recent sub genre that has gained commercial appeal is Nu Metal which is fine in that heavier forms of music have become more acceptable but the problem is that a large percentage of people who listen to Nu Metal ONLY listen to that genre and therefore are convinced that this is how all Metal should sound and become over protective of the genre.

This is of course true with most fans who only listen to one particular genre of Metal and it is this narrow minded attitude that irks Metal fans who listen to lots of different Metal and know what they are talking about and can find fault with not just Nu Metal but all genres of Metal but because the demograph of Nu Metal is primarily the under 21's they get bitchy when you criticise it because that's all they listen to.

I personally find any music fan who listens to Metal and Metal only a complete twat on the whole, narrow minded and lacking a fundamental understanding of music on the whole. I am embarrassed to be a Metal fan sometimes due to the narrow minded attitude of the listeners but wearing band T shirts and having a leather jacket is the dress I wear but it certainly doesn't paint the whole picture of me.

Going back to Nu Metal, the genre (like every sub genre in Metal before and since) got so oversaturated with copycat bands that enjoyed commercial success, it is much easier to pick the bones out of the genre because even if we don't like the genre, you couldn't help be exposed to more bands through the media and realise that the genre ended up being Pop music with guitars. 3 min songs with traditional song structures and that is not how I like my Metal.

Some Nu Metal was really good or interesting enough for me to appreciate it. (If you forgive the generalisation and are they Nu Metal or not crap) System Of A Down don't sound like any other band out there, Korn (who I hate with a vengeance) at least created a different sound especially in the rhythm section and vocal delivery, Rage Against The Machine utilised the guitar as a dual instrument to provide riffs and soundscapes not heard before and bands like Mordred and Senser used turntables in their music as homage and respect to Hip Hop and not a mere gimmick.

There is a lot of crap in every single of genre of metal and for me there is more bad than good unfortunately but due to success of Nu Metal it is one of the genres that will be talked about more.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote