Music Banter - View Single Post - Notorious B.I.G.
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrycaaant View Post
I suppose I probably meant to say among casual fans. I know most members on here and those who pay attention to hip-hop are aware of them. It's just casual fans seem insistent that Biggie & Pac > everything else for some strange reason.
I say this as someone who likes rap but doesn't dive into it a lot and am generally exposed to bits and pieces from all over the genre, rather than move through it with any intentional path...

Biggie has better flow than most. I always felt like BIG made it sound effortless. That has little to do with lyrics, so maybe he gets a pass on that more than he should, but theres something a lot more smooth to me about BIG than most rappers.

In a general sense, I don't care for much rap because its a little too affected. Thats why I think I like Biggie, too. He once said "I rap about what I know. If I ate at McDonalds every day, I would rap about eating Big Macs."

Outside of rap, you find a lot of dead-horse beaters. I don't know that we should bag on rappers for the same thing. Furthermore, when rap goes beyond what it knows, it can often get preachy and stale, so I'll take a guy who knows his wheelhouse over someone who doesn't know his limits.