Music Banter - View Single Post - The Cure vs. The Smiths
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #161 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
Looking back on my decision of The Smiths, I still stand by it. Johnny Marr's music was a perfect fit for Morrissey's sharp lyrics and singing. Their great singles, a few choice songs on the first two albums, plus The Queen is Dead and Strangeways, Here We Come said more in a few years than the entire Cure catalog no matter how great it sometimes got.
Said? I love those Smiths albums and Morrissey was a clever writer but I don't rate the band by what they said. It wasn't all that special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andregan View Post
The Cure is good... Very good but the songwriting from The Smith's destroys The Cure in my opinion. I was into The Cure for awhile, but I don't think they evoke the same emotion that The Smiths' do, though they try. Please please please let me.. get what I want... lord knows it would be the first time.
And this is ridiculous.
Please please please let me get what I want this time/Lord knows it would be the first time.
That's what depressed people say outright. They just say it, or think it. That's not poetic lyricism, that's conversation.