Music Banter - View Single Post - Capitão Coração by Dos Cafundós
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

I thought that this album was incredible. The blend of rock music, ska (only at certain points, though), metal, Latin, and even some noise textures all combine fantastically in this really unique form of fusion. I wasn't expecting it to be so rock based, since I didn't click on the video and just voted going by description, and that definitely is not a bad thing.

This definitely does have a heavy Zappa influence, and it reminds me of the Latin equivalent to the German band Panzerballett, which blends heavy metal, funk, jazz, and also is very hectic. I can also hear a heavy influence from the band Magma, especially in the vocals.

The drumming gets incredibly jazzy at points, and I adored that as well. The guitarist is great too, and the trade off between the bass and violin in the Capitao Coracao segments remind me a lot of John Mclaughlin in Mahavishnu Orchestra. The songs with the slow and minimalist interludes are my favourite, and the album both ends and begins on a strong note, with the musique concrete portion at the end of the final segment in the Capitao Coracao series.

A lot of the time, groups that sound like a melting pot of their influences can sound unoriginal, but in a case such as this, the outcome was spectacular. I voted excellent.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote