Music Banter - View Single Post - The great hardcore/punk countdown
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #163 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I've only listened to a tiny bit of Municipal Waste, and they don't seem like anything special. I think they were just one of the first of the new wave of thrash bands, so they get mentioned a lot. Warbringer and Toxic Holocaust are pretty cool though, along with Evile, but I definitely don't see any thrash revival being anything more than a quick flash in the pan novelty thing. Thrash became a ludicrously overpopulated and stagnant genre in the eighties, so I don't see why anybody thinks that reviving it is going to accomplish anything.
I see your point, I don't mind the thrash revival because I think the genre has stood the test of time, in that its still pretty hard sounding by today's standards.

Outside of Toxic Holocaust though, I haven't heard any of the above mentioned bands put out any songs on par with the big four. In hindsight, it really makes me appreciate how phenomenal bands like Metallica & Megadeth were. Minus them, I don't think thrash would have carried the day, even with Slayer in the mix.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote