Music Banter - View Single Post - Notorious B.I.G.
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #43 (permalink)
Dr_Rez
Registered Jimmy Rustler

First off your reply seems to be made in a pretty demeaning and condescending tone which I find pretty useless considering we are simply discussing an artists and genres popularity. There is no reason it can't be done in a respectful tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankycaaant View Post
Lol, if 99% people only know two Notorious BIG songs, their opinion on hip-hop as a whole would be rather tainted I would imagine. That'd be like me running into the rock/metal section and saying I know two AC/DC songs, they are undoubtedly the best band ever. Which ironically is the logic being displayed by most in this thread.
You missed my entire point. Perhaps I did not get it across very clearly on second look at what I typed. The average music fan/rap fan does infact under appreciate biggie. Sure they like his music and respect the talent he had but fail to see the influence on future generations of rappers he managed to make; to make things even more impressive he did that with only 2 albums, neither of which were all that long.

Quote:
Of course it's a guess, no sh*t. Unless you created some sort of alternate reality simulator, how could you answer a hypothetical about what would have happened had someone not died. Nothing in the last two years has been around long enough to influence anyone yet, the next generation of rappers hasn't been born or are just children right now.
Ok I will say this again but not as nicely this time. What you typed about what he would probably do was a pointless waste of words. You are right its a guess so there is no point in this argument to start stating completely hypothetical and speculative opinions about a dead rappers future.

It does not matter. I think there are many more talented blues guitarists around today than the 60's. In fact the sheer number of great rock and blues bands today makes the amount back in the 50's 60's 70's look like small potatoes. It does not change the fact its golden days were when the style was first being created. Those artists will forever be the originators of an art that is constantly progressing. The 80's and 90's were the golden days of hip hop and every artist today owes a great deal to the classics of that time.

Quote:
Right, so when 2Pac and Notorious BIG had their little feud and continually told each other they were going to kill the other, that wasn't about guns, right?
Or when Biggie sings about being 'Big Poppa' or when him and Puffy get some girl to sing about how great Biggie is in Hypontize, that's not misogynist, that's not about hoes.
When Biggie says 'money, clothes an hoes that's all a ****** knows' that's not about hoes?
When he whitters on in Nigga's Bleed and What's Beef about death by gun crime that's not about guns?
Or, the whole era known as the 'bling' era that was the norm of late 90's rap, I suppose that never encompassed glorifying misogyny or crime.
'Yeah, those were the good old days not like that today'
First off you couldnt be more wrong about that Pac and Big beef. 99.9 percent of that supposed beef was the media, fans, friends, and other outside sources trying to make news and sell albums. If you would actually read about their lives and read interviews then you would realize they certainly did not talk about killing each other all the time.

Also naming a few select lines to fit your narrow minded view of the music they made is not only irresponsible to rap fans reading this thread but incredible naive and shallow. Pac was publicly known for trying to reduce gang violence, programs to keep kids in school, and told real stories in much of his music that was inspirational to many people including myself. Read some of his poetry, the guy was actually an incredible person. While biggie was not half the man Pac was he certainly had some positive lyrics as well.
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*

Last edited by Dr_Rez; 01-23-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote