Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #477 (permalink)
ManWithNoName
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Kittens View Post
I know people who have told me they've been suicidal and suffer from schizophrenia etc... It's scary
Yeah, I had a friend that told me similar things. His family didn't really understand and he was banned from calling the emergency services for hoaxes.

I really didn't know what to say to him in all honesty. I know I had similar experiences to some of his feelings, but genuinely can't even begin to imagine the darkness he must have felt. There is also a man I read about who threw himself in front of a truck and said the physical pain form his dysfunctional legs and years of rehabilitation was nothing compared to the depression he felt before the event.

But the pain of a friend's funeral is enough to keep me from doing it to those around me. I can understand why some may see it as selfish or cowardly to do it for that reason alone but honestly, you never know what another individual is going through. Everything is selfish in a way.

For every 1 soldier that dies fighting in the military, 25 commit suicide (recent United States statistic, includes veterans). These are things you will not find your mainstream media reminding you of when they boast of wars and advertise to you. Suicide is the biggest killer of young men in UK society in general.

Last edited by ManWithNoName; 01-23-2013 at 11:51 AM.