Music Banter - View Single Post - Tame Impala - Lonerism
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #53 (permalink)
joy_circumcision
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldPo View Post
Well honestly man, I think you're reading too much into it, I mean I dislike a lot of contemporary music like yourself, but you are basing your distaste off this kind of "revilalist" music getting more attention than it deserves, and you are not appreciating the quality of the songs, you are just writing them off. I mean seriously, it is music. I am well aware that these guys (well just Kevin) are inspired by the Beatles. But there is a lot of progression in this music as well. I love Avant-garde music, like you, I like listening to weird ****, stuff that feels completely progressive to listen to. But these guys just do it for me, I don't need to think about it. And yes I am a fan of the Beatles and yes, I can hear similarities in this guy's voice to Lennon, but I don't see why this is a bad thing. Lennon himself talked about this very thing in an interview and said that he was directly influenced by blues and jazz from the 50's and that the influence was clearly audible in the music of the Beatles, as well as all early forms of psychedelic music like Country Joe, Captain Beefheart etc. However I think that Lonerism is far less beholden to its influences than you are making out. I love the lack of choruses in some of the songs on this album, and some of the melodies are absolutely beautiful, this music is very progressive in its' own right, it is psychedelic and poppy and synthy, but it is all those things with a modern interpretation, a modern lens of vision.
Well, even if I were to have a strictly aesthetic view of music (which I don't, and I believe the lack thereof is really the final nail in the coffin of the listening pleasure I could hypothetically derive from a Tame Impala or whatever), they 1. don't "do it for me" (this seems to be an adequate defense of the band's artistry, so I think it's just as valid a criticism) and 2. are identical to a zillion other bands I could listen to and have listened to and have enjoyed at certain stages at my life.
joy_circumcision is offline   Reply With Quote