Music Banter - View Single Post - j_c Takes On the Favorite Artists of Yesterday and Today!!
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
joy_circumcision
Music Addict

Eldritch Anisette
by Eldritch Anisette

emo

Rating: 8/10
As stated in the OP, this journal from time to time will focus on an album at a time. Technically, this is still a full artist catalog, since this emo outfit, like many of its era, only lasted about a year to record this 7" and nothing else, but I digress from the purpose: trying something new and seeing how it goes.

Though I may be new to single albums on this journal, what I'm not new to is emo music: it has been some of the nearest and dearest sonic content to grace my ears for about two years. Everyone Asked About You; 125, Rue Montmartre; and others have filled endless blocks of time too short for full LP spins. Eldritch Anisette fits into a similar niche to those two: dominant female vocals with some male interplay, and sweet noisy guitars that never make the band digress too much from a hazy pop sound into a harder semi-screamo sound (though those bands are usually great, too!). This indie emo stuff really just hits me right here, and this 7" is no exception.

First, some backstory: Eldritch Anisette is the latest known surviving incarnation of a Newark, Delaware emo band named formerly Clevinger, Network 34, and perhaps one or two other titles. This is the only incarnation that recorded, and that northeast heritage really informs the work nicely. The band consists of Courtney Miller, a powerful vocalist who really shines on the third and final track of the single but can't be faulted much elsewhere; Timothy Nichols, a drum prodigy who was described as one person who saw the band's live shows way back when he was 14 as a genius and whose talent is palpable throughout; and guitar/bass combo Allen Hitchens and Mark Krupanski, respectively. The first two songs on the single serve as straightforward, quick indie emo songs, one of which you can sample below, while the final track, "Dissection of Silence," is a very brainy, informed piece of rock music that nicely combines the midwest emo sound with the virtual shoegaze elements that creeped in very often. On the whole, the release is nothing short of an aesthetic dream, and a visceral reflection of youthful ambition.

Sample:

Last edited by joy_circumcision; 01-30-2013 at 08:39 PM.
joy_circumcision is offline   Reply With Quote