Music Banter - View Single Post - Things you didn't know
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #99 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
I'm really embarrassed of this one, but...

I live in the south, so enunciation is not one of the strong points of my people. I'd heard people (mainly men) reference elderly women as old (what I always thought would be phonetically spelled) badalacks. It turns out, I was wrong.

Some girl I work with who's from Southern NJ, referenced her mother-in-law as an old "battle-axe." Her enunciation was perfect. And I felt like a jackass for not knowing for YEARS that the term was "battle-axe."

Also, I grew up mainly on a hillside, and the people across from me were "across the holler." I asked what that meant, and my mom told me, "You have to holler from one side to another to hear them."

It wasn't until college that I realized the actual word was, "hollow," and felt like a jackass, again.
Don't be embarrassed about that, I'm sure everyone has something like that. It wasn't until I was 14 that I realized that I had the lyrics to Smells Like Teen Spirit wrong. I've heard the song my whole life so I had no reason to question it. I always thought that it was "With the lights out, and potatoes. Here we are now. And potatoes! I feel stupid, and potatoes! Here we are now, and potatoes! Yeah." True story, I felt like a moron when I was obsessed with the album and read the lyrics.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote