Music Banter - View Single Post - Music genres that I have never listened to before
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Anyway, The first one sounded pretty weird to me because of all the random electronic sounds present in it.
Heh. Autechre is the opposite of random. Their tracks actually very structured, it's just that the structure is usually fairly complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
The second third stream one was very nice although it was also very short. I'd be glad to check out an entire third stream album rather than just one song. Tell me though, are all third stream songs are short like that?
No, not all third stream songs are short. It's a hybrid of jazz and classical, so as you might imagine, it has plenty of longer pieces. Actually if the track I posted piqued your interest you might want to try checking out the album it's from, Impressions on Chopin's Nocturnes by Jacques Loussier. It's definitely an album that works best listened to whole. Even better than that though, in my opinion, the Nikolai Kapustin album Piano Music (performed by Marc-Andre Hamelin), which is just amazing. Also, not all third stream is piano music by any means. Check out Bill Russo's School of Rebellion for more a full band, horn-based take on the style.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote