Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning to Play a Guitar, Best Ways to Learn?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

My first advice is to be patient, and play because you enjoy it, not because you want to be famous. But surely there have been plenty of famous musicians who started because they wanted to be a rock star.

I would say continue your chromatic exercises. Go up and down the neck, hitting every fret. Then after some time doing that start working on your alternate picking (if you use a pick). This exercise will do great things for your finger strength and coordination. I still do it sometimes and I know guitarists who are much more experienced than I am that still do it.

My next step would be to learn your basic major and minor triads. G major, D major, C major, A minor, etc... Work on forming those chords and changing from chord to chord. That can be a bit tricky at first. If you're ready to jump into lead guitar already, the obvious starting point would be to learn your basic pentatonic scale "boxes". YouTube will easily be able to assist you with this.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote