Music Banter - View Single Post - Killuminati, Arab Money and a Semester Abroad.
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankycaaant View Post
\

12. Flying Lotus - Until The Quiet Comes

I don't get it. I just don't get. I have listened to Los Angeles 4 maybe 5 times and I still cannot recognize a melody from it. In an age where great production is expected on every hip-hop record, is there any room for someone who just makes instrumental hip-hop to make waves within the industry?
TNGHT
Madlib
J Dilla
DJ Shadow
etc
All make pleny of influential instrumental hip hop

Fly Lo doesn't make instrumentals exlusively either, check the production credits, son.

Quote:
2008: José James - Park Bench People (on the track "Visions of Violet")
2009: Declaime - Whole Wide World
2010: José James - Blackmagic
2010: Gonjasufi - A Sufi and a Killer (on the track "Ancestors")
2010: Mike Bigga - Adult Swim Singles Program (on the track "Swimming")
2011: Thundercat - The Golden Age of Apocalypse
2011: Blu - NoYork! (on the tracks "Doin’ Nothin", "Everything Ok" and "Doin’ Something"
2012: "Lately" and "Lamented" on the Hodgy Beats Untitled EP

Quote:
Some fault genre classics like Illmatic for production qualities, so in an age where technology is at its most advanced and hip-hop at its most diverse, can I not fault Flying Lotus for just being boring?
What is the connection here?

Quote:
I think ole Fly Lo knows himself that mediocre instrumental hip-hop is just not enough to suffice in this day in age, hence the Captain Murphy experiment.
I heard a few tracks from that album and it just sounded like a producer desperately trying to cling to relevancy.
Sounded like an artist who drew inspiration from hodgy beats telling him he recorded most of his verses in less than 15 minutes. Check the pitchfork interview if you get a chance.

Quote:
Fly Lo may want to consider just laying the beats for others, because there's no doubt he's a talented producer, his beats on their own just aren't enough to cut mustard in a genre bursting with innovation and evolution.
and this is why it was one of the worst records or the year?
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote