Music Banter - View Single Post - Whiskey's Album Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Okay, well first of all remember reviews are a matter of taste, and also a matter of style. Some people, like me, tend to go very deeply into the album, explaining how each track sounds, building an introduction to the album or band/artiste and then maybe making some comments and/or conclusions at the end. Mind you, many readers will doubtless tell you my reviews are too long-winded, boring, indulgent and a lot of other things they don't like. But some people may like them. I suppose some must, as my journal is heading for 100,000 views, bit of a landmark I believe.

Thing is, you review how you want to. Some guys do a very short review --- few lines even --- then some people break down the album but do that in a short, concise way (see Unknown Soldier's "Pounding decibels" for an example) and others just talk about it in abstract-ish terms (a la Anteater sometimes). So it's really not a question of whether your review is good, or even good enough. As long as you're happy with it then it's fine. It's not how I'd write, but then, it would be a bit boring if we all wrote the same way, and anyway I have a lot more free time to compose my reviews. Then again, in some ways I'm lagging behind Big Ears, whose reviews are pretty phenomenally well-researched.

I will say this, and it's not a criticism, but if I didn't know any Metallica I think I would come away after this review with no new real insights into the band. Of course, Metallica are a bad example, as just about everyone knows who they are and has heard at least one song from them, but I personally would have talked a little more about a few tracks. Your prose is good, your descriptions fine and your spelling and grammar, thank god, are right on, and you obviously seem to both know and care about what you write, which is always a key element of any review.

For what it is, it's a good review, but then as I said at the start of this rather rambling diatribe (see how I go on? Once I start there's no shutting me up!) there are no bad reviews. As long as you're happy with it, then that's all that matters.

Good first effort.