Music Banter - View Single Post - Whiskey's Album Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Whiskey
Account Disabled

Okay, thanks Trollheart. I'll keep what you said in mind.

I dont have anything better to do right now so I'll write another review now. Here it is.

Track Listing:

1. A Fortune in Lies
2. Status Seeker
3. Ytse Jam
4. The Killing Hand
5. Light Fuse and Get Away
6. The Afterlife
7. The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
8. Only a Matter of Time

Album: When Dream and Day Unite
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars! Excellent album!
Artist: Dream Theater
Year of Release:1989
Genre: Progressive Metal
Best Song: The Killing Hand
Review: When Dream and Day Unite, Dream Theater's first album, is an interesting album due to the fact that no song on the album lacks excitement and originality. The changeable riffs and random tempos give the entire album a feeling that cant be experienced on any other Dream Theater album. The band was pretty young when recording this album, except Charlie Dominici, who was older and was eventually fired from the band, initially, due to his "pop" vocal style. His singing is very different compared to James Labrie's singing, who has been the lead singer of the band since 1992's Images and Words. For many Dream Theater fans out there, Charlie is inferior to James Labrie, perhaps because they get used to James Labrie's voice on subsequent albums and therefore tend to regard this album as a failure and a waste of time listening to. The reality is, its not. When Dream and Day Unite is an album with such originality and creativity that one has to ask themselves how could they dislike an album before listening to it entirely and carefully before judging it. When you listen to When Dream and Day Unite, and then listen to 2005's Octavarium for example, you'd immediately realize how completely different they both sound compared to each other.

The sad fact is, this is the only album to feature Charlie Dominici, a great singer with a great ability to add excitement and energy to all of the songs featured on When Dream and Day Unite. This, combined with Dream Theater's relatively fast tempo present on much of the songs on When Dream and Day Unite, along with the originality and creativity present on the album, mean that When Dream and Day Unite is an exceptional album that is worth listening to more than any of Dream Theater's other albums, especially for new fans of Dream Theater and the Progressive Metal genre in general, a genre which has begun to lose originality and creativity over the years. And in When Dream and Day Unite, not a single riff, guitar solo, or melody lacks originality and creativity.

The Killing Hand:

Dream Theater - The Killing Hand - YouTube
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote