Music Banter - View Single Post - Whiskey's Album Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Whiskey
Account Disabled

Hi everyone. I got some free time now, so I'll write another review now. Other than Trollheart though, I have no idea what everyone else thinks about my reviews so far, so feel free to post here and let me know!

Okay, lets begin with my review.

Track Listing

1. Renegade
2. Crawling Back to You
3.Outta My Head
4. Start of Something Good
5. Crazy
6. Break The Spell
7. We're Not Gonna Fall
8. Gone Too Soon
9. Losing My Mind
10. Rescue Me
11. Louder Than Ever
12. Spaceship

Bonus songs available only on Deluxe Edition

13. Who's They
14. Maybe We're Already Gone
15. Everything But Me
16. Lullaby
17. Never Die

Album: Break The Spell
Rating: 3 out of 5 Stars
Artist: Daughtry
Year of Release:2011
Genre: Hard Rock, Grunge, Post-Grunge, Pop Rock
Best Song: Rescue Me
Review: Daughtry's third album Break The Spell is a catchy and marvelous album. Not only that, but Chris Daughtry, the lead singer of the band, sure knows how to deliver both powerful and soft vocals throughout the songs on Break the Spell. This is something very important because it adds a lot of variety to Break the Spell, as well as Daughtry's previous albums. This album is no exception in comparison to Daughtry's first two albums. The songs are honest, catchy, memorable, and with enough energy delivered by Chris Daughtry's vocals to give the whole album a positive feel. For those of you who like progressive and complex kinds of music, such as Progressive Rock/Metal, this album isn't exactly for you, mostly because of the song's short length, the simple song structures and a few other things which become obvious once you listen to the album. The music is also simple and catchy, with the chorus in every song pretty much the main thing that makes the songs so catchy and memorable. Chris Daughtry's songwriting is best shown on this album - the lyrics talk about personal experiences, relationships, and general struggle at life.

However, Break The Spell has this problem that I consider to be very generic. The songs are sure catchy and nice to listen to, but beyond that there's nothing unique or very original on Break The Spell that would make it an album worth listening to very much. It's a good but not great album, and this is mainly because of the aforementioned things. When you listen to an album, you hope to hear something special or exciting. Whats exciting here is that every song is catchy and almost instantly memorable, but beyond that you won't be thrilled after you hear Break the Spell. You wont think, "oh wow, that was such an intense album, I'll never forget it!", despite how catchy the songs are. This is something that Daughtry's truly missing here - Excitement. It is difficult to immediately become a fan of the band after hearing the album, and being catchy doesnt necessarily mean it will do the work and cause every single person who listened to Break The Spell to consider it as an excellent album. A lot of us wish to hear interesting music and more complex albums, because we know what a straightforward album sounds like, but on Break The Spell no one can hear even a tiny hint of that. However, Break The Spell is definitely an album worth listening to when you want to hear non complex or changeable music. With songs that sound completely sensible and straightforward on Break The Spell, there sure would be moments here and there where you'll have the urge to listen to Break the Spell, whether you consider it as a great album or not.

Daughtry - Rescue Me (Official) - YouTube
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote