Music Banter - View Single Post - Masterpieces Of Hip Hop
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #69 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
On every level? Beats, lyrics, rhyme scheme, delivery?

Not saying Preadator aint good, cause it is, but Death Certificate has some of Cube's most lyrically potent tracks.
It's been a while since I've listen to Death Certificate but from what I remember I think The Predator is superior musically. It has this hard, bleak edge to a lot of the tracks that I absolutely love—which I don't think is as prominent on Death Certificate—and his rapping matches that hardness in a way that that doesn't really exist on his other albums (or at least the ones I've heard). As far as lyrics go, I'm not sure. I don't remember the lyrics to Death Certificate really standing out to me. The Predator, on the other hand, discusses the 1992 L.A. riots and the cultural climate surrounding them in such a vivid way that it always brings me right back to that tense, pivotal time, and still feels immediate to me even two decades later. As far as rhyme schemes go, I have no idea and it's not something I particularly care about, I'm just interested in whatever sounds best.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote