Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #22134 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnels View Post
So I received an invitation to join the Nation Society of Collegiate Scholars today. I don't really know what that means outside of falling education standards in the US because if they lettin me in thin my gen must be stupit.
Don't feel bad. I got an A.A.S. at a technical college and got a 3.98, got awarded into the National Technical Honors Society, and all I did was pay attention and do the work. I'm not special or hard working by any extraordinary means.

While it IS a technical college, the concept is the same that what is actually very non-challenging to achieve by normal intelligence and ability is made into this "honorable achievement", as though someone should expect any less of themselves. But when colleges are filled with what are, for all intents and purposes "kids" that just got out of high-school and live at home with mom and dad and really only care about what parties they're going to attend and who they're crushing on, the problem is not that they have to struggle to get good grades. The problem is that the vast majority of them don't have the self discipline and ability to recognize and prioritize to achieve goals that land outside their social comfort and lifestyles.

As a result of this, the educational system has to actually create an award out of what should be an expectation, simply because most kids aren't ready to put in the work now for something that will pay out later, and at least there's some sort of gold star allure that some students may desire.

I'm probably generalizing a lot, but when it comes to the American culture, it's just normal to see most kids worrying about their social lives more than their own education.