Music Banter - View Single Post - Buckethead: Greatest Guitarist Of Our/All Time?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #102 (permalink)
The Bullet
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloozcrooz View Post
Ok so I've been listening to Buckethead for the last hour and a half, and nothing really has jumped out at me. I really dont hear any soul coming from his music just a lot experimentation type riffs and ventures. I'll give it some time and see if it grows on me but nothing has initially blown me away so far. Of course maybe if he wasnt wearing a mask and Kentucky fried chicken box on his head you could see more emotion. Not saying he's not a talented guitarist, just nothing about his playing that sets him apart from the rest that I've heard. Also his sound to me is..to clean..for lack of a better term. Typically I tend to like the rawer more edgy sound a Fender Strat or Tele pelt out. Again I'll give it some time and see if I can come around some more.
His music is insanely diverse. I don't know what you're listening to, but don't listen to the Monsters and Robots type stuff and assume that's all he has. (Don't get me wrong, MaR is a good album, but it's far from his best work and gives people the wrong idea.) I've heard ten of his albums, and I'd suggest the Electric Tears album, in particular the title track or the Miles Davis cover, "Sketches of Spain," to start out with. Easily my favorite aside from maybe Kaleidoscalp, which is some of his most experimental/inaccessible work and definately not something I'd play to someone new to Buckethead. Granted, plenty of stuff from that album has already been posted...

Also, a couple really awesome tracks off of the more recent sequal to that album (Electric Sea.) That one's on here too, but not (in my opinion), the best tracks.

@Big,
Strongly disagree. Even his shredding manages to have emotion, IMO.

Last edited by The Bullet; 02-02-2013 at 11:14 PM.
The Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote