Music Banter - View Single Post - Whiskey's Album Reviews Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Whiskey
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I like your journal so far and as Trollheart said, each journal is a matter of taste and you'll also find as you go by your reviews will get bigger and more focused. But one thing you have got and in my opinion it's a vital ingredient, is that you read between the lines on why a band recorded an album and why they did such a thing. It might not be the correct assumption but putting your own assumption makes the whole experience a more interesting read. I do this a lot on my journal.

I've always liked St.Anger and since Load the band were always trying to do something different, whilst these albums are not as good as classic era Metallica, they show a band willing to explore than simply dish out the same style of music.

You have me interested again with the Dream Theater debut, I never much cared for this album, but will listen again and I might have a different opinion on it now.
Thanks man, I truly appreciate it. And yes, the Dream Theater debut is probably their best album alongside Images and Words in my opinion!

I think its time for another review now, too. Here it is.

Songs:

1. Papercut
2. One Step Closer
3. With You
4. Points of Authority
5. Crawling
6. Runaway
7. By Myself
8. In The End
9. A Place for My Head
10. Forgotten
11. Cure for the Itch
12. Pushing Me Away

Album:Hybrid Theory
Artist:Linkin Park
Year of Release:Late 2000
Genre:Nu Metal, Rap Metal, Grunge, Post-Grunge
My Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Best Song:One Step Closer
Review: Linkin Park's first album Hybrid Theory is an album full of rapping, shouting, screaming, and melodic singing that all fits so perfectly on the entire album. There are two vocalists, Chester Bennington and Mike Shinoda. Both vocalists add so much energy and excitement to the songs present on this album with their shouting and rapping, respectively. The guitars are highly distorted, reminiscent of Grunge due to this and also due to the fact that not a single guitar solo is present on the album. This is common to many other Nu Metal and Post Grunge artists, as it simply wouldnt fit in the songs. This is completely true, as if guitar solos were present, they would ruin the beauty and the ultimate combination of the album with the aforementioned things. Songs like A Place for my Head and Pushing Me Away are angst-ridden and therefore also sound very intimate and personal. Other songs, such as Papercut and One Step closer, are straightforward heavy and distorted, full of impressive combination of rapping and regular singing alongside occasional electronic sounds here and there.

However, whats disappointing is not this album, but the later Linkin Park albums. Minutes to Midnight and A thousand Suns, the future releases of the band, show almost no signs of the excellent rapping of Mike Shinoda which add so much energy to songs. Linkin Park's first two albums Hybrid Theory and Meteora are the only ones to feature this great musical combination. So if you liked this album, beware - you'll only be able to experience these kind of things on this album and Meteora. On later albums, this combination is nonexistent.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote