Music Banter - View Single Post - R.I.P Reg Presley
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen13 View Post
With a good dis of the Wet Wet Wet version of "Love Is All Around" at the start.
Yes, that`s clever !

Thanks for posting a real tribute to the Troggs, Screen13. I love the bit where RP is on a building site and hears Wild Thing on the radio: "...I threw down my trowel and said, "Share out my tools, lads. I`m off !" " What a cinematographic moment that must`ve been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophonic Tonic View Post
I see The Troggs too often get lumped into the British invasion scene solely based on the time they became popular in America. But, anyone who heard their music knows they are in the company of the garage rock and proto punk rockers from the early 60's, such as the Sonic and Wailers. In fact, when I was looking for a thread about Reg's passing, I never would have thought to look under the Pop forum. I've just never seen them as a pop band, rather a sort of ugly ducking that had a very influential sound and have a legacy based around a handful of songs that are covered to death and used in movies and television constantly.

The Troggs are definitely one of those bands where once you begin to look deeper into their discography, you have several deja vu moments of "Oh, they did that song too!". Very influential and overlooked, I believe.

RIP Reg.

I'll leave my favorite Troggs song below. And in the spoiler, I'll leave MC5's excellent cover of 'I Want You' (Elektra records made MC5 change the song title so they wouldn't have to pay royalties to the Troggs)

Spoiler for MC5 cover of 'I Want You' (re-titled 'I Want You Right Now'):

I see what you`re saying, ET; a point well-illustrated with the song you chose, but for me the Troggs remain eager-to-please popsters who just made relatively uncomplicated music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
He's probably more well known for being some crank that would endlessly talk about crop circles & aliens these days more than he ever was for his music.
Yes, Urban. I`d like to hear a conversation between RP and Dave Davies ...