Music Banter - View Single Post - Wanting to start a punk band, but i have a couple of problems..
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
409InYourCoffeemaker
Groupie

Default Wanting to start a punk band, but i have a couple of problems..

So, i'm 17, huge fan of Punk of all sorts, with Green Day on top.. NOFX, Bad Religion, Operation Ivy, Goldfinger, The Cure and so many more following close behind

I taught myself guitar and am pretty decent, i can't full on riff but i hardly need to anyway with the music i like.. I also sing, pretty well, and i played lead guitar in an on and off band..

I have wanted to start a three piece punk band for a while, and considering Green Day were like 15/16 when they started so i feel like i'm running out of time... I have written tons of songs, but have scrapped most of them for more 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours/Kerplunk sounding songs, but i'm hitting serious writers block, which brings me to the problem:

I don't have any band members, so I can't even start a band yet, and i have no one to bounce song ideas and sounds off... I think it is best to start a band with friends, people you already have chemistry with, but i have no friends that share the same sort of music preference as me and i don't know how to meet other people who are interested, as i'm slightly socially awkward (except around close friends) and i don't like the idea of meeting up with strangers...

I know i could work through the stress of playing a live show until i start to love it, but as i said, no one to play with

There IS a friend who keeps asking me to play songs with him in a pub, but i wouldn't want to start a band with him as he isn't quite.. punk, and doesn't quite share the exact same music preference, plus ive known him my entire life pretty much and as i grow up ive realised how much he annoys me now and then, and i couldn't stand to spend many years down the line in a band with him...

What do you guys suggest i do... i'm getting pretty desperate..

Last edited by 409InYourCoffeemaker; 02-07-2013 at 06:37 PM.
409InYourCoffeemaker is offline   Reply With Quote