Music Banter - View Single Post - Wanting to start a punk band, but i have a couple of problems..
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
P A N
DO LIKE YOU.

i hate to bring this up, but punk is a weird word. for me to properly express myself on the topic, i'd just like to say that punk - to me - is about doing whatever the f*ck you want. beethoven, tesla, einstein, hendrix... all people who did what they were driven to do regardless of other peoples' opinions on the matter. so as far as "sounding punk", i think you need to determine if mixing the aesthetic of the scene with what punk is actually about is something you're willing to do. the aesthetic is going to tell you how to talk, how to dress, how to play, what to drink, and and give you heaps and heaps of RULES about sh*t you're NOT allowed to do.

so i say, go play at the pub. at least two things are going to happen. you're going to get some experience, and within a musical genre that brings you out of your comfort zone (getting out of your comfort zone is healthy and promotes personal growth) and you're also going to meet people... like the sound guy. go meet the sound guy. those guys not only love talking about they do, but they usually have connections in local music communities.

i wish you luck. not restraint.
P A N is offline   Reply With Quote