Music Banter - View Single Post - Punk Wars
Thread: Punk Wars
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
BastardofYoung
Buzz Killjoy

I am a big fan of both these albums, both for different reasons. I love Bad Brains for their hyper speed and high amounts of energy. "The Big Takeover" has to be one of the best songs in the entire style, that drum beat that builds up just gets the blood pumpin'.

I have massive respect for that Bad Brains album, but the dub parts do kind of kill the flow for me. They are great songs in their own way, but I wanna hear BB more for their hardcore. "Sailin' On", "Pay to Cum" and "The Big Takeover" = hell yeah.

But, I love that Black Flag album for it's shear psychotic feel, Rollins screams are just manic and insane, and Ginn's guitar goes along perfect. This album is like a trip to the nut house. It has that something to it that just makes a person wanna go mad.

I was hard pressed when I picked these. Both are essential albums, but I find myself going back to "Damaged" a lot more. When Bad Brains are at their peak, they are the more energetic band, some of the songs on the album (the 3 I mentioned above) are better in part. But as a whole, "Damaged" just edges it out for me.

Black Flag - 5
Bad Brains - 5

‎"I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people." - Jack Handey.
BastardofYoung is offline   Reply With Quote