Music Banter - View Single Post - What causes a guitar to ring out, or sound real bright?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
kurt28
Groupie

Default What causes a guitar to ring out, or sound real bright?

I'm not really getting the sound that I want from this acoustic guitar that I have. It's like the sound really rings out, or sounds really bright when you play it. It sounds like it's amplified a tad and you can hear every imperfection in what you are playing, including the sound of your hands sliding up and down the strings. I know that you can hear that on any guitar if you're sliding your fingers up or down the strings, but it's even louder sounding on this guitar and I don't like it. I guess I want a deeper, warmer, bassier type of a sound (not sure how to describe it).

Anyway, I was told that it could be the strings causing it to ring out like that - the fact that they are made of bronze. I had Ernie Ball stings on them which are pretty popular strings. I've tried lite and extra lite, both ring out like that. then I tried Darco acoustic lite strings from Martin & Co. which are Phosphor Bronze. Again, they ring out real bright. What causes this, is it the fact that the strings are bronze? And if so, what other kind of strings are there?

Thanks
kurt28 is offline   Reply With Quote