Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums or Singles
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
TboneFrank
Groupie

They still make 'singles'? What do you do these days...go out to the record store and buy them? I have boxes full of 45's from the 60's and 70's that have collected dust for over 30 years now. Will probably never listen to them again unless someone gives me a jukebox for xmas.

If you just go for hit singles you'd miss out on a ton of great music still being produced in this sensory overloaded world. Exceptional albums like Dylan's awesome back-to-back trilogy (Time Out Of Mind '97, Love & Theft '01 and Modern Times '06) or swan song albums like Joe Strummer's Streetcore, Levon Helm's Electric Dirt and Warren Zevon's The Wind just to name a few would sneak under your radar if you are just considering the latest trending hot single.

I find it a lot less frustrating in the 21st century to find music I want to explore vs. back in the 70's, 80's and even most of the 90's. What's great about acquiring music these days is that you have a wealth of resources to find stuff you'd really like from any particular artist and not just a hit on the radio or a review in Rolling Stone. But back in my day Rolling Stone was a lot more reliable and lead me to some great music that I normally wouldn't be privy to through a hit single I'd hear on the radio. Artists like Midnight Oil, The Clash, Joy Division and Graham Parker which had very few to no hit singles had a lot of great albums.
TboneFrank is offline   Reply With Quote