Music Banter - View Single Post - Learning to Play a Guitar, Best Ways to Learn?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
BadAnimal
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
My first advice is to be patient, and play because you enjoy it
Blastingas makes a great point here, this is probably the most important step in learning the guitar and any other instrument for that matter. There are gonna be times when you are just about ready to pack your guitar away and give up, but if after those times you still can't resist playing then there's no doubt you'll be rocking out your favourite songs in no time.

I'm pretty much just seconding the advice already posted here but I'm self taught as well and this is how I learned. It's absolutely essential to learn your chords first, start with the open chords. Sometimes it can get monotonous just switching between chords over and over so think about learning some 3 chord songs (there's plenty of well known ones out there) doing it this way not only helps you get your chords down but helps build your repertoire for those nights around the campfire!

Once you feel comfortable with open chords you can move on to learning barre chords and scales. There are plenty of sources online where you can learn your scales. From here on it's just practice practice practice. Good luck and happy playin'
BadAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote