Music Banter - View Single Post - Turntable Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
If you intend to DJ then I would agree with this. Almost every audiophile home-stereo table will be belt driven, however. They won't measure as well in a laboratory setting but will sound vastly superior connected to an amp and speakers.

I got the impression that we're discussing light-budget tables here, I'd look into players by Music Hall, Rotel or NAD at around $300, less if you score a deal or pick one up second hand. They will all come with a decent cartridge (when new) but you can do a little better with, say, a low-end Rega or something along those lines. That's what I was using (I had the NAD, those 3 are practically the same tables) before I upgraded to the Rega P25 (with a Rega Exact cartridge).
I'm not sure why that would be, since the drive mechanism is ultimately only dictating the torque of startup and the consistency of the speed of the platter rotation. Whether it's belt drive or not is not going to affect the audio quality, so if "audiophiles" really do prefer belt drive over motorized, I'm not sure why they do, except for maybe a mistaken assumption resulting in placebo effect...