Music Banter - View Single Post - The greatest Zeppelin song of all time
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 02:04 AM   #299 (permalink)
TboneFrank
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.w. View Post
But Page & Plant didn't know anything about levees or floods or about losing their livelihoods. So when I listen to Zeppelin & I try to connect with the songs, I just end up feeling Page is a huge dick & that he & Plant are both posers.
They aren't asking you to believe that they have experienced floods or losing their livelihoods first hand just because they wrote a song about it. Most of us haven't experienced true disasters in our life. But most of us have known someone who has. You don't have to survive a natural disaster to qualify to write a song or poem or book about it. We all know what drowning is. Most any adult knows what a levee is and what disaster is impending if it breaks. We all can imagine what it would be like losing our house and possessions to a tornado or flood or fire or earthquake and we can sympathize with and relate to those who suffer from them.

When The Levee Breaks is a great song that "artistically" conjures up the appropriate mood for the context of the song. You may have valid reasons for not liking Plant and Page on a personal level. A lot of rock stars are pricks and wouldn't give you the time of day. But calling them posers for the reason you mentioned is absurd.
TboneFrank is offline   Reply With Quote